The Appalachian Regional Commission funds projects through its Area Development Program and Appalachian Development Highway Program. All ARC projects address one or more of the five goals identified in the Commission's 2016–2020 strategic plan:
- Investing in entrepreneurial and business development strategies that strengthen Appalachia's economy;
- Improving the education, knowledge, skills, and health of residents to work and succeed in Appalachia;
- Investing in critical infrastructure,especially broadband, transportation—including the Appalachian Development Highway System, and water/wastewater systems;
- Strengthening Appalachia's community and economic development potential by leveraging the Region's natural and cultural heritage assets; and
- Building the capacity and skills of current and next-generation leaders and organizations to innovate, collaborate, and advance community and economic development.
Projects in recent years have focused on business development, telecommunications and technology infrastructure and use, educational attainment, access to health care, tourism development, and the construction of development highways and basic water and waste management facilities.
ARC Projects Approved, by Fiscal Year
ARC Grants and Contracts
ARC Program Areas