Appalachian Diabetes Consultation
April 10, 2014
Embassy Row Hotel
The Appalachian Regional Commission hosted a regional consultation on type 2 diabetes in Appalachia on Thursday, April 10, 2014, in Washington, D.C. The Appalachian Diabetes Consultation fostered discussion among diabetes experts, Commission members, and other key regional stakeholders on the disease and its implications for economic and community development in the Appalachian Region.
Critical questions addressed during the consultation included:
- How does type 2 diabetes affect the Appalachian Region's economic strength?
- How effective and efficient are ARC investments in regional diabetes initiatives?
- What are best practices in diabetes prevention, control, and treatment that could help Appalachian communities do more with existing resources?
- What are the opportunities for workforce development or entrepreneurial efforts related to diabetes prevention, control, and treatment?
- How can ARC maximize the impact of its diabetes-related strategic funding partnerships?
Presentations and other materials from the consultation are posted below. Questions about the event may be directed to Eric Stockton, ARC health program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultation Materials and Presentations
PDF: 89 KB
PDF: 130 KB
Consultant Preparation Exercise
PDF: 123 KB
Presentations are posted with the permission of consultation speakers.
"Promising Practices" Posters
- Partnership, Evidence, and Experience: "Together on Diabetes"
Patricia Doykos, Director, Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation
PDF: 944 KB
- Diabetes Characteristics and the Regional Epidemic in the National Context
Ann Albright, Director, Division of Diabetes Translation, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
PDF: 3.8 MB
- Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index: Real-Time Opinion Data as a Policy Tool
Joe Daly, Senior Managing Consultant, Gallup
PDF: 640 KB
- Diabetes Costs and Implications for Appalachian People, Communities, and States
Matt Petersen, Managing Director, Medical Information and Professional Engagement, American Diabetes Association
PDF: 2.5 MB
- Who Serves Chronic Disease Patients? Entrepreneurial Enterprise and the Health Care Workforce
Katherine Cauley, Director, Center for Healthy Communities, Wright State University
PDF: 197 KB
- Who Pays for Care for Chronic Disease Patients? Sustainable Effort from Payers' Perspectives
Aaron Larrimore, Policy Analyst, National Association of Medicaid Directors
PDF: 209 KB
- ARC's Community Infrastructure Model: The Appalachian Diabetes Control and Translation Project
Eric Stockton, Health Program Manager, Appalachian Regional Commission
PDF: 573 KB