Legislative Update: FY 2017 Omnibus Appropriations Legislation Includes $152 Million for ARC
On May 1, the U.S. House Committee on Appropriations released the fiscal year (FY) 2017 omnibus appropriations bill, which provides $152 million for ARC programs through September 30. This amount is $6 million more than the Commission received for FY 2016. The total figure includes:
- $70 million for ARCís base program;
- $50 million for the POWER Initiative to help communities that have been adversely impacted by changes in the coal industry and power sector;
- $10 million to continue a program of broadband deployment in economically distressed counties in Central Appalachia that have been most negatively impacted by the downturn in the coal industry;
- $16 million for a program of industrial site and workforce development in Southern and South Central Appalachia focused primarily on the automotive supply sector and the aviation sector, with up to $13.5 million of that amount provided for activities in Southern Appalachia; and
- $6 million for a program of basic infrastructure improvements in economically distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
The House and Senate are expected to consider the omnibus legislation the week of May 1.
On April 28, Congress had approved a short-term continuing resolution funding government agencies through May 5. The previous continuing resolution
was due to expire on April 28.