Legislative Update: FY 2017 Omnibus Appropriations Legislation Includes $152 Million for ARC
- $70 million for ARCís base program;
- $50 million for the POWER Initiative to help communities that have been adversely impacted by changes in the coal industry and power sector;
- $10 million to continue a program of broadband deployment in economically distressed counties in Central Appalachia that have been most negatively impacted by the downturn in the coal industry;
- $16 million for a program of industrial site and workforce development in Southern and South Central Appalachia focused primarily on the automotive supply sector and the aviation sector, with up to $13.5 million of that amount provided for activities in Southern Appalachia; and
- $6 million for a program of basic infrastructure improvements in economically distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
On April 28, Congress had approved a short-term continuing resolution funding government agencies through May 5. The previous continuing resolution was due to expire on April 28.