$165 million for ARC is included in the final Conference Report for the Fiscal Year 2019 Energy and Water Appropriations Act which passed both houses of Congress this week. This is the largest appropriation for ARC’s nonhighway work in the agency’s history.
The Conference Report includes:
- $73 million for ARC’s base program
- $50 million for the POWER program of special assistance to coal-impacted communities
- $16 million for a program of workforce and industrial site development focused primarily on the automotive and aviation sectors in South and South Central Appalachia.
- $16 million for a program of basic infrastructure improvements in distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
- $10 million to continue a program of broadband deployment in distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
The Legislation is currently pending Presidential signature.